What is this course about?
The aim of the course is to learn and consolidate the basic technical vocabulary in the field of electrical engineering and - application-oriented - grammatical structures. Furthermore, the receptive linguistic skills of listening and reading comprehension are trained. Participants should be enabled to follow first lectures in English in the field of electrical engineering and to understand English-language technical literature. Strategies will be presented and practiced.
What do you learn in this course?
After completing the course “Technical English. Electrical Engineering” you will...
- ... recognize, understand and use a huge variety of technical vocabulary in your field of study
- ... recognize and use appropriate context-specific grammatical structures
- ... apply strategies that help you understand and follow lectures and other longer contributions in your field of study
- ... apply strategies that help you understand texts, even longer and complex ones, in your field of study
- ... identify and produce the language and features of the subject-specific text types process description, product description and graph description
- ... have developed strategies to learn vocabulary independently, to cope with a self-paced learning mode and to continuously motivate yourself in the learning process
How is the course structured?
The individual chapters of the course will be published on the following dates
- Welcome and Introduction (March 9, 2020)
- Electrostatic Forces (March 16, 2020)
- Electric Field Lines (March 23, 2020)
- Charged Bodies and Electric Fields (March 30, 2020)
- Review Unit 1-3 (April 6, 2020)
- Current Density (April 13, 2020)
- Water Flow Analogy (April 20, 2020)
- Electric Circuit Diagram (April 27, 2020)
- Review Unit 4-6 (May 4, 2020)
- Resistance (May 11, 2020)
- The IV-Diagram (May 18, 2020)
- Measuring Devices (May 25, 2020)
- Working in the Lab (June 1, 2020)
- Review Unit 7-10 (June 8, 2020)
This course will stay open for participation and enrollment after the tutored time!